Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cooked it: Soup Soup Soup

Since Jerry is sans job we have been making lots of soup. Soup is great because it is usually some what economical and lasts a while. It has been pretty cold here, well, cold for us...ok, it will be 74 degrees on Tuesday...whatever! My favorite thing about the soup is my enameled cast iron soup pot (kind of like this but in apple green) and the ladle (both thoughtful gifts from my soup buddies). However, I do not recommend you drop any part of the enameled pot on your foot....it really hurts.
White Chicken Chili- I like this recipe because it is healthy and easy. Other than sauteeing the onions and peppers (I use red bell peppers only, not the green), everything else is cans. I usually use red kidney beans vs the white beans. Also I dump in a small can of corn (sorry I used dump and corn in the same sentence).
Sausage and Kale soup: Jerry LOVES this soup. We use smoke turkey sausage. Also pretty healthy with the beans and the kale. Kale is really good in this because it stands up flavor and texture wise, something the more delicate greens can't do. (also, this version)
Curried Caulifower Soup: This is a great potato soup alternative, the dominate flavor is definitely onion but the cook down so they are melt in your mouth. It is a little labor intensive (roast the cauliflower, sautee onions, cook together, take out half and puree). We used curry powder and really it does not have a curry flavor. I threw in some red pepper flakes to give it a kick. My friend Scott suggested toasting and grinding some whole spices, I agree it would probably give it a better flavor, more of a true curry, and if you are going through all the trouble any way, you may as well!

No comments: