Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Crocheted it: Scarf



This is my first time crocheting. I will always prefer knitting BUT there are certain patterns in crochet that you don't see in knitting. For example, a cloche. I had one pattern in knit and it was for a super expert. It had a complicated herringbone pattern. I figured out the pattern but when it came to the pattern and increasing and decreasing....I gave up. I must have tried to knit this 8 or 9 times. I don't feel like it was a failure because I tried several times and the person at the knit shop was impressed that I figure the pattern out and could not really help me when it came to whatever my problem was (yep, so complicated we did not even know what my problem was, just that it wasn't right) . To impress a knitting shop lady is pretty impressive so I just left it at that--pat on back!
So I got the book "Get Hooked Again!" and it is ok. The written instructions are easier than the pics, but I found this to be true of online instructions as well. Knitting seems easier to represent graphically. I did not like the colors of the yarn at the craft store so I chose another brand (Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand Yarn) and bought the hook mentioned in the gauge and am using the pattern in the book. Unfortunately the yarn is acrylic BUT the colors are awesome.
So crocheting is not too bad, everyone says it is quicker but I don't necessarily think so!

No comments: