Thursday, February 14, 2008

Embroidered it: "and all was for an appil"


This is what I will be working on for the next year or lifetime....
My co-worker Martha showed me a cool website (www.scarlet-letter.com) that sells reproductions of samplers. This is a reproduction of some canvas work from the 17th century. What is really cool about it is that the Adam and Eve motif was not at all common during this time. I like the really primitive look and phrase "and all was for an appil". So this is cross stitched on linen which is not an evenly woven fabric. Seeing this firsthand was overwhelming and I almost started crying, considered sending it back (I was really looking forward to this for weeks). But then I thought about it for a while and decided to pencil in a graph out line on the outside of the piece. That really helped and I have stitched about 20 stitches so far. Hopefully I will give an occasional update. Also overwhelming is the size 13"x 16". According to my calculations there are 696 squares containing 100 stitches- that equals almost 70,000 stitches. However, half of this is negative space so really it is about half that...phew! only 35,000 stitches!
I have not been blogging as much lately. I actually have posts drafted up (like the time we shaved Jerry's facial hair in stages). Maybe I will get around to it over the weekend!

No comments: