Monday, January 21, 2008

Read it: Christine Falls by Benjamin Black

This was a pretty good mystery from Irish writer John Banville ( winner of the Man Booker award for his novel The Sea) writing under the pseudonym Benjamin Black. This is not a typical whodunit mystery but a peel back the layers type mystery (thanks to Lazygirl's review on goodreads.com for highlighting the difference). This is a pretty quick read. Black gives the plot lots of interesting twists and turns as Quirke, the main character unravels the mystery that involves him without him really being a part of those who know the truth. There are lots of surprises. I guess I was a little disappointed in the final 50 pages or so, but I think that is more because I was expecting a typical whodunit, not something that involves so many people. Also I wonder if the whole "mystery" could have been avoided with a little forthrightness, instead the plot feels almost sitcom like. I almost feel like this could be consider just general fiction.

No comments: