Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Watched it: Jane Eyre

Jerry and I watched Jane Eyre on PBS. I think it was a really good adaptation of the book. It is hard to cram a story into 4 hours and they did a good even handed job. The only problem I had with the movie is the actress who portrayed Jane Eyre....really not attractive....
Jane Eyre was not supposed to be a looker but come on! She was like Jerry's girlfriend on Seinfeld who was pretty except in certain light...that is the way she looked all the time. I thought maybe it was her circumstance that made her eww but, nope , even when she was happy she was not attractive. Usually they cast someone who is really pretty but then downplay their looks until it is their time to shine.
Rochester was really handsome and fiery. And the love scenes were pretty intense!
I look forward to seeing other adaptations in the future (maybe not the one with George C Scott as Rochester)

1 comment:

Deshi said...

I disagree. That is, I think the actress was, and is, attractive. Her looks were down-played, because they should have been, as the character she was playing was not supposed to be that attractive. In that, they did a wonderful job in casting and makeup. The actress is, in fact, beautiful; and with dire acting skills, that she can convince someone she is not.